Ika Kuenzel was born in Munich in 1978 and currently lives and works in Berlin. Her design relies on a very classical industrial-oriented interpretation. Often her designs are intentionally poetic and humorous, and they exhibit a strong figurative and narrative bent. Her pieces function as three-dimensional stories and employ found objects. Her work has been exhibited in London, Dubai, and Eindhoven to great acclaim.
CAUTION, THIS IS RODEO! is a series of saddles converted into rocking stools, intended to be used as furniture inside the home. The saddles are attached to bases that are upholstered in leather. The bases are constructed like car seats and stuffed with foam of varying densities. The result is that the saddle is removed from its context. There is an obvious absence: no horse, no barn, no riding. Sitting on a living room floor, a saddle looks out-of-place and strange. Additionally, it is impossible to sit on the saddle passively; the seated person must straddle it and balance by clutching it with his or her thighs. Indeed, it is easy to fall off one of these saddles—hence the CAUTION in the title. Kuenzel’s saddles are aggressive and sexually charged pieces.
Selection of Worksor view all works
- Zona Maco, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, Mexico City, Mexique.
- ’10 Years of Collectible Design’, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, London, UK.
- Design Miami / Miami, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, Miami, USA.
- ‘Progressland’, Chamber, New-York, USA.
- ‘Human / Nature’, Chamber, New-York, USA.
- Masterpiece London, London, UK.
- Design Days Dubai, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, Dubai, UAE.
- Artefiera, Bologna, Italy.
- Studio Lambl/Homburger, Berlin, Germany.
- Galerie IM Regierungsviertel, Berlin, Germany.
- Fashionweek, Berlin, Germany.
- Deichtorhallen, Lead Award, Hamburg, Germany.
- Dinamismi Museali, “Super Dutch”, Catanzaro, Italy.
- Young Blood, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, London, UK.
- Dutch Design Week, Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Dutch Design Centre, Utrect, the Netherlands.
- Fashion Factory, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- ‘Graduation 2005’, Design Academy Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Teaching at Haute École D’art et de Design, Geneve, Switzerland.
- Teaching at the Willem de Kooning art academy, Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Pearl Lam Galleries, Shanghai, China.
- Hosting the Summer workshop ‘ Apocalypse Now’, Domaine de Boisbuchet, France.
- Lecture at TEDxAmsterdam – ‘Science and Fiction’ – “Fragile Future: Design for dreamers”,
- Teaching product design at Academy of Arts, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
- Design Unlimited, rapid prototyping project together with TNO.
- Studio Tord Boontje, Christmas collection design for Target, Bourg Argental.