Aki, the daughter of Japanese jewelry creators, was born in Paris in 1974 but grew up in Tokyo. After spending a year in the United States, she returned to Paris at the age of 18 to study interior and product design at the Ecole Camondo where she met Arnaud, a native of northern France who was born in 1973. He became interested in art during childhood and studied contemporary art in Belgium before moving to Paris.
Since they opened their A+A Cooren design studio in 1999, they have worked for brands as varied as Shiseido, Artemide, L’Oréal, Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres, Yamagiwa, Saint Louis, Boffi Bains, Cartier and Vertigo Bird on interior, product and furniture design projects as well as scenographies. They also create special pieces for private customers and collaborate with architects on interior design projects.
The pair won a Villa Medicis Hors les Murs residence in 2007 and spent several months in Denmark to research “natural and artificial light”. They also have been awarded The Liliane Bettencourt Prize pour intelligence de la main – Dialogues 2017, for their lowchair “Tiss-Tiss”, with craftsman David de Gourcuff.
Through their minimal, simple Japanese-French design aesthetic, they seek to integrate subtle references to nature in the everyday interiors and objects they create.
Design for them is all about context and the act of sharing: sharing ideas, sharing with people of companies and, above all, sharing with users. They see design as everything that surrounds us whether it is industrially made or hand-crafted, and proceed to form new ideas in harmony with their industrial, temporal and economic contexts.
These reflections create harmonies that, just like nature, constantly evolve and gradually immerse the user in the present moment.
Selection of Worksor view all works
- Design Miami/ Basel, Carpenters Workshop Gallery, Switzerland.
- HOMO FABER – Fondation Bettencourt Schueller – Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venise, Italy
- HOUSELIFE – Musée des Arts Décoratifs et du Design, Bordeaux – France
- SEGELSCIFF IM NEBEL – Galerie Espace à Vendre, curated by Emmanuel Régent, Nice – France
- UNDER THE CHERRY MOON – Galerie Dominique Fiat, Paris – France
- STRATIFICATION – Clotoo – d’days, Espace Modem, Paris – France
- SYMBIOSIS – collective 1992, Musée de Cognacq-Jay, Paris – France
- 10/10 – ParisDesignWeek – showroom Moda, Paris – France
- MOBILES en BANDES ORGANISES, curated by Cendrine de Susbielle – Espace Modem, Paris – France
- VELOVELO, curated by Marie de Cossette & Francesca Montà, Milan – Italy
- VELOVELO – Gallery S. Bensimon, Paris – France
- ELSEWHERE, curated by Vincent Grégoire – agence Nelly Rodi – Maison&Objetm Paris – France
- VELOVELO – Gallery S. Bensimon – Paris – 2014
- FRENCH PAVILION – China International Industrial Design Fair, Shenzhen – China
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Boutique Centre Pompidou, Paris – France
- LA REDOUTE & DESIGN FOR ALL – d’days – Bastille Design Center, Paris – France
- IN-HOUSE OBJECTS, curated by llot llov – Baerck, Berlin – Germany
- DESSIN DE DESIGNERS, curated by Cendrine de Susbielle – Espace Modem, Paris – France
- KEEP IT GLASSY, curated by Chen Ying & Shanghai Museum of Glass and Coordination Asia Ltd. – Shanghai Museum of Glass, Shanghai – China
- Installation Vertigo Bird – boutique Blou, Paris – France
- ELEMENT(S) curated by François Bernard – Maison&Objet, Paris – France
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Harbourfront Centre, Toronto – Canada
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Wanted Design, New York – USA
- DREAMS OF A FAUCET – Roca Barcelona Gallery – Spain
- KEEP IT GLASSY – Shanghai Museum of Glass – China – 2013
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Bon Marché, Paris – France
- CONVERSATION BETWEEN WATER AND LIGHT – Designer’s Days – Boffi Bains Paris – France
- DESSINE-MOI LE JAPON, curated by Brigitte Fitoussi – Docks en Seine, Paris – France
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Design Museum Holon – Israel
- OBJETS D’EXCEPTION: DESIGN ET METIER D’ART – VIA, Paris – France
- NOUVELLE VAGUE, curated by Cédric Morisset – Centre Culturel Français de Milan, Milan – Italy
- DI VASO IN FIORE – Inventario – Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Milan – Italy
- FOODESIGN MADE IN FRANCE – Guzzini – Maison&Objet, Paris – France
- EN VERRE CONTRE TOUT, curated by Cendrine de Susbielle and Marianne Guedin – Espace Modem, Paris – France
- NATURE INSPIRATION, Designer’s Days – Gallery S. Bensimon, Paris – France
- DESIGN REFERENCE PARIS, curated Cédric Morisset – Märkisches Museum, Berlin – Germany
- LIBRE A L’EDITION, curated by VIA – Salon du Meuble de Paris, France
- NOUVELLE VAGUE – Centre Culturel Français de Milan – Italy – 2011
- YoungDesignersFair, INTERIEUR 06, Kortrijk – Belgium
- PARIS CONTEMPORARY DESIGNS, curated by Cédric Morisset – VIVID centre for design, Rotterdam – Nertherlands
- DRAGONFLY 18-8 – Espace Modem, Paris – France
- DRAGONFLY 18-8 – Tokyo Designers Block, Tokyo – Japan
- DESIGNER’S DAYS – Forum Diffusion, Paris – France
- DESIGN LAB – Salon du Meuble de Paris – France